Why You Should Clean Eyelids Before Eye Surgery
It is imperative to clean your eyelids before any eye operation/surgery. Sometimes there might be some early signs of infection, such as microscopic scales which are not visible to you, but your eye surgeon spots it and asks you to follow a daily eyelid cleaning routine. Even if there is no infection, daily eye hygiene is prescribed before any eye surgery to prevent eye infections.
Why do you have to follow daily eyelid cleaning routine before surgery
Surgeons ask patients to clean eyes/eyelids before an operation to prevent any minor or major problem at the time of surgery, as infections can be transferred from your eyelids to the eye.
In a study ‘Importance of Lid Hygiene Before Ocular Surgery: Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis of Eyelid and Conjunctiva Microbiota’ by Assumpta Peral, Ph.D., Jose Alonso, Ph.D., Concepción García-García, Ph.D., Cristina Niño-Rueda, Ph.D., and Patricia Calvo del Bosque, M.Sc., the authors found that daily cleaning with eyelid wipes helps in undiagnosed blepharitis before any ocular surgery, and also reduces the risk of post-surgery endophthalmitis.
Ways to Clean your eyelids and enhance eye hygiene
Hot compresses are usually advised by eye surgeons prior to surgery as part of eyelid cleaning routine. You can do this by soaking a clean face/cotton cloth in some warm water and apply to closed eyelids for about 10 minutes. You will feel relief and any crust/debris on the eyes will be easily removable.
Wash your eyes with Oculeaf Soft Eyelid Cleanser
One of the best ways is to wash eyelids with a gentle but extremely effective eyelid cleanser such Oculeaf Soft Eyelid Cleanser. It’s formulated with TTO or Tea Tree Oil which has been proven by many studies to be one of the best natural remedies. Along with TTO, the other ingredients in Oculeaf help to hydrating skin around eyes. It’s a product which can be used on the face too, as TTO is good for the skin.
With only two pumps of the Oculeaf Soft Eyelid Cleanser, you can wash your eyes, eyelids and entire face. Close your eyes, apply the cleanser and rinse with clean water thereafter.
Clean your eyes with Oculeaf Eyelid Wipes
After washing your eyes with Oculeaf Soft Eyelid Cleanser, the next step is to clean your eyelids with Oculeaf Eyelid Wipes’. The key ingredient of the Oculeaf Wipes is Tea Tree Oil which is a powerful and proven anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-Demodex, anti-inflammatory agent.
Precautions to take before surgery
- Follow your doctor advice and instruction
- Undergo tests – The surgeon will perform ultrasound test in order to measure the shape and size of the eye. This helps to determine the right lens implant for you.
- Stop taking specific medications – You will have to stop some medications which might increase bleeding risk. Do inform your doctor about any prostrate problem medicines you may be taking.
- Apply anti-biotic eyedrops – Your surgeon might prescribe anti-biotic eyedrops a day or two before surgery.
- Fasting – You may have to fast approx 12 hours before operation.
- Prepare for recovery – You have to arrange for someone to take you home and help you at home for approx a week after surgery.
- Start wearing glasses instead of contact lenses – Soft contact lenses should be removed one week before and hard lenses should be removed 3-4 weeks before eye surgery.
- Do not wear eye makeup pre surgery – For at least a day or two before surgery, you should stop applying eye makeup on the eyes. To be on the safe side, ensure that your face is free of moisturizers, foundations and other makeup. Makeup residue or debris can increase the risk of contracting any infection. Using pre-moistened eyelid wipes to clean your eyes will remove all traces of makeup, thus preventing any infection.
How often should you clean your eyelids before eye operation
You should clean your eyes with eyelid wipes or eyelid cleansers twice every day, two weeks prior to surgery. You might have to clean your eyelids more than twice or less, depending on the condition of your eye. However your eye doctor can advice you better please follow their instruction.
What to do is eye gets infected before surgery?
If in spite of your strict daily eyelid cleaning routine, your eyes show symptoms of infection, such as discharge, extreme itching and red and dry eyes, then you must contact your surgeon immediately. You might be prescribed medication and your surgery might have to be rescheduled.
Start a good habit
The daily eyelid cleaning routine which you start before your eye surgery should be continued after surgery too, and as eye hygiene habit for all your life. This good habit will give you rich dividends throughout your life.
With daily eyelid cleaning routine using Oculeaf Soft Eyelid Cleanser and Oculeaf Eyelid Wipes – Have Healthy Eyes and See Happy!